A consumer can be defined broadly as a person who needs, uses or has used a particular service or product. In this sense, we are all consumers. Consumers make up the largest economic group, affecting and effected by almost every public and private economic decision. Yet often their views are not heard.
Insuring Consumer Protection
1. Protection from hazards to health and safety;
2. Promotion and protection of economic interests;
3. Access to adequate information to make informed choices;
4. Consumer education, including on environmental,social and economic impacts;
5. Availability of effective consumer redress;
6. Freedom to form consumer and other relevant groups and the opportunity to present their views in decision-making processes;
7. Promotion of sustainable consumption patterns.